Amanda Palmer: The Art of Asking (for TEDTalks)
I’m not going to comment on it in great detail here, aside from linking you to Gawker’s incredibly ignorant article (and by extension, all of the other commentaries linked within it). You can make up your own mind, but here’s my perspective in a few paragraphs:
The people snarling at her Kickstarter success do not understand her fanbase, her interactivity with them, or how long this interaction has actually been transpiring. Demanding that a dollar value be placed on the experience of performing with AFP live is something that I find deeply insulting and intrinsically hypocritical of her commentators to suggest. A long-standing fan and artist, whose heart’s desire is to be on stage with a legend on their eyes, would gladly accept Amanda’s offer (“beer, hug/high-five you up and down (pick your poison), give you merch, and thank you mightily for adding to the big noise we are planning to make”) without a second thought.
As much as I don’t want to use the phrase they’re not in it for the money, that’s exactly the concept at work here.
Now feel free to judge the everliving fuck out of me for creating discussion on this topic without having ever been a struggling artist/musician/living statue. I don’t pretend to know what that’s like on any level, but I’m sure a multitude of you don’t either; much less the people paid to slander without understanding. If that’s an unfair assessment of the situation, I apologise to those people, but that’s what I see happening here. Please enlighten me further with firsthand experience and legitimate criticism if you see fit.
But all I can see is this:
- AFP’s fanbase respond in an outstandingly positive way on Kickstarter
- media sources deeply unfamiliar with her past/nature as an artist tear her to shreds for doing what she’s done for years upon years
- a million dollars does not go that far in modern-day society, especially for a musician who is now entirely self-funded and self-produced
- any person who comes into that manner of small fortune with an eighth of a brain will budget it intelligently
- a fringe individual, who has learned through personal experience that the value of money is an incredibly fickle concept in modern society, will not immediately change her worldview to align with the brownbeatings of the majority
- the idea of insisting a dollar value be placed on an artist’s autonomous willingness to contribute for the experience they get is horrific to me
- labelling AFP a ‘small business’ is grotesque, as is likening her gift of beauty for an immersion in love to a transaction of Goods & Services
- people need to shut the fuck up and leave well enough that they will never have any concept of understanding alone
Fuck it, I lied,
it’s Drum&Bass that went for a lot longer than intended… but I absolutely needed to get my thoughts out there this instant. But now I desperately need to talk to the man I love so y’all can fuck off :D
Seriously, thank you if you read through that wall of text; I really appreciate it when people spare their time for my thoughts, because you are truly the embodiment of generosity in this world.